The key to implementing a morning and evening routine consistently is to 1. Make it SIMPLE and 2. Make it work for YOU! After years of trying to incorporate the routines of OTHER people (and failing miserably), I began to trust my gut again and just started doing what makes me happy, feel good, and sets me up for success for the rest of my day!
Here’s a breakdown of how I begin and end my day. There are links to all of my top favorite products and apps that I use to support me on that journey!
2. The very first thing I do is go to the window and look at the sky. Observe the clouds. Let the sun hit my face without sunglasses on. Listen to nature for 1 deep breath. Even when it’s raining. So simple. Easy way to let your body know it’s time to wake up and cortisol begins to naturally spike.
3. Head straight to the bathroom to poop! (If morning poops are a struggle, try pulling your knees to your chest when you wake up and doing a gentle spinal twist by letting them fall to the left and then the right for about a min on each side. Breath deeply into your belly and low back.) Or try clockwise belly massage, pushing gently in with your fingers and focusing on any tender spots. If you’re still “stuck,” go watch my 2-minute video on Uddiyana Bandha Kriya which will absolutely get things moving and grooving!
4. I then splash my face with cold water. I learned this from my mom and have always done this to wake up. I don’t use face wash in the morning. I prefer letting my natural skin’s microbiome be less touched.
5. I brush my teeth with fluoride free toothpaste and tongue scrape to remove all the white ama from my tongue (if you have a thick white coat on your tongue, you could have poor gut health. Book a 20-min call with me to discuss further.
6. Turn tea kettle on.
7. Make my bed. Starting the day with a clean bedroom and a fresh bed to get into at the end of the day keeps my morning and evening routines in sync.
8. Play a morning mindset track—I’ve been loving all things Amanda Frances lately or my “Down Low” playlist on Spotify for inspiring and down beat songs
9. Listen and dance as I get dressed!! 💃🏼
10. My simple yet super effective skincare routine includes Vit C serum, day moisturizer and tinted moisturizing SPF for a dewy glow all day long.
11. Good digestion starts with a belly that is primed and ready for food. Once my kettle is whistling I know it’s perfect time to break my overnight fast (hint: breakfast), starting with some prebiotics and digestive enzymes. I’ve started the day with warm lemon water for about 15 years but recently I started adding Organifi Pure dissolved into it for easy added digestive benefits. The lovely feeling of warm water down my throat first thing in the AM coupled with lemon, ACV, and enzymes (all ingredients in Pure) give my stomach exactly what it needs to be able to break down food for the rest of the day! I love knowing that I’m setting myself up for digestive success as the day starts. Be sure to use code GUTHEALTH15 for an extra 15% off your order!
12. At this point, I’ll make a cup of coffee and some breakfast before I sit down to begin work!
Some people love movement in the morning. I have found that for me personally, I do better with a very slow, easy morning with a bit of stretching as I go, and more rigorous movement later in the day (like speed walking, roller blading, or an at home workout). Trying to squeeze it all in in the morning made me feel stressed, and stress is ALWAYS counter productive to optimal well-being. Rather than trying to “push” myself to be like other early morning risers, I decided to shift my mindset, trust myself, and honor my own body’s needs instead! In doing so, I have lost that few extra pounds that I was seemingly holding onto because of stress.
I encourage you to lean into your body’s cues and notice when and how you like to move your body! Movement that is pleasurable, fun, and enjoyable will reap 100x more rewards!
What is your morning routine like? What resonated with you here?
A good morning routine always begins the night before! My nighttime routine helps me wind down, reflect on the day, and fall into a good night’s rest so I feel refreshed for the day ahead.
1. First and foremost, I am sure to unplug from technology by 9pm at the LATEST! And honestly, in an ideal world, it’d be totally after sunset, but because screens are such a huge part of our lives, I HIGHLY encourage you to invest in a reputable brand of blue-blocking glasses. The screens that we look at are stimulating for our retina in the back of our eyes and even inhibit the production of melatonin, which we NEED in order for us to easily fall into and stay in a deep sleep throughout the night.
2. I always end the night with a warm beverage. The routine and consistency of it allows my body to know that it is time for bed. I love Organifi Gold with the anti-inflammatory properties of its turmeric and black pepper, and its delicious, rich and cozy taste! If your discount isn’t already applied, use code GUTHEALTH15 for 15% off!
3. In true Chelsea Haines fashion, my skincare routine is simple, effective, and works for me! I’m sure to wash any makeup, SPF, or sweat off my face with a gentle cleanser so that I’m not stripping my skin of its natural PH or messing with its microbiome too much. I’m sure to follow that with a serum or overnight peel that I know is not going to cause cancer or long-term hormone issues and I top it all off with a nighttime moisturizer that my 35-year-old skin just LOVES! Having a skincare routine that I know is safe and effective allows me to lean into self-care in a way that is much more than just skin deep. This self-care feels like a sacred, feminine, and calming routine that helps me sleep deeply.
4. After feeling unplugged from the day, enjoying my sacred sipper, and brushing my teeth, I crawl into bed in clean PJs and enjoy a favorite fiction book. I prefer to listen to self-help books via Audible while I’m working, cleaning, or walking and read fiction books before bed in order to allow my brain to shift from the stresses and stories of MY day, and drop into the story of someone else. Before I know it my eyes are too heavy to continue. The light turns off and I’m out until the sun meets my eyes in the morning!
Keep in mind finding a morning and nighttime routine that works for YOU is going to take trial and error. Although I hope sharing my routines have inspired you to incorporate certain activities in your day, yours may end up looking nothing like mine, and that’s totally fine! Trust what works best for your body day and night, and you will flourish.
Chelsea interviews professionals to bring YOU today’s most updated knowledge on nutrition and wellness.
[…] combat the damaging effects of sleep deprivation, be sure to practice sleep hygiene. Implement a nighttime routine to allow your body to wind down, avoid screens before bedtime, and try a natural solution such as […]